Friday 28 September 2012

A brand new day...

Not since I was 19 have I put pen to paper (in internet terms that would be....gee I don't know what the internet term for that is...) for the sake of airing my own quirky musings on the state of music and associated subject matter.

I suppose I should start from the beginning, but that's a lot of history to cover in my first post so I'll be brief...

Let's just say I'm turning 42 tomorrow, getting my first tattoo (for my birthday), have an adoring wife who I am still madly in love with after 19 years of marriage, have two fantastic daughters who challenge and frustrate me no end, but who I could not imagine living without.

I come from a long and distinguished background of rebellion and sedition, having first heard ACDC's anthemic single "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" in the car outside Sunday church. While the sentiment Bon Scott was trying to impress on my 8 year old mind went in one ear and out the other, I immediately fell in love with the belligerent, unashamedly disobedient rock sound the band was torturing our family station wagon stereo speakers with. From that day forth I swore I would listen to as much rock as my hungry pre-pubescent body could handle...

...fast-forward to September 2012 and here I am at 11:20 at night listening to Swallow The Sun's entirely brilliant album "The Emerald Forest And The Blackbird" in the headphones, cranked up to already unhealthy volume levels. Having survived, and been intimately involved in, every single known sub-genre and underground movement extreme music could possibly generate in my lifetime, I made the decision to re-enter the global circus known as the "media" to share with the internet community my opinions and  observations.

As I decide what to do with this monster I've just created (bringing to mind a laughable image of Frankenstein's laboratory with me at the helm) I think after 34 years of rock and metal adoration, interspersed with more than a few years of goth and trance thrown in, I probably have accumulated enough "been there, done that" cred to feel comfortable to share it with the rest of the world.

For now, I'll just keep doing what I've been doing since 1977 and tell the world what I think, regardless of whether you agree with me or not.

Saying that, here's my latest love interest, an awesome band from Perth, Australia, who are currently touring and who I'll be taking my kids to see, where I'll probably do more moshing than they will.


Enjoy

J

No comments:

Post a Comment